Supplies Students Need To Have
A. Fabrics: scraps of muslin for practice
– 8” squares of fabric (2), in either a light or dark color so your stitching will show up.
– Linen, cotton, silk, wool, pieces of old clothing, linen napkins, etc.
– Think of a color scheme, or just have plenty of scraps on hand.
– Solids or small prints are great as you want to see the stitching, but you can always toss in a feature
print to provide inspiration for the rest of your piece. You might also want to consider bringing: small
pieces of special fabric or trim you want to include in your piece.
B. DMC Embroidery Floss, 6 strand, regular cotton: at least two colors that work with your color
scheme, different values work best. You can also use perle cotton, linen thread, yarn, or anything else
you want to experiment with.
– Regular sewing thread for appliqueing your fabric pieces down
C. Optional: Silk organza, to use as a stabilizer, ( 2 ) 10” squares.
– You can find the 42” white silk organza at Dharma Trading Company: www.dharmatrading.com
• Basic sewing kit that includes: Scissors, straight pins, regular hand sewing needles, thread for basting, and
beeswax for your thread.
• Embroidery needles: I use assorted packs that are sizes 5-10
• Fabric marking tools: white pencil, Frixion pen, or blue water erasable marker
• Small ruler, rotary cutter, and cutting mat
• An iron
• Sheet of fine grit sandpaper, or whatever you have on hand
Note: All stitching is done without an embroidery hoop, so you won’t need one!
Thread and Floss