If you don’t know of Yvonne Porcella, I hope I can shed some light. Yvonne Porcella was one of the quilt world’s brightest souls. Having founded Studio Art Quilt Associates, exhibited in countless exhibits worldwide (including the Smithsonian), authored books, served on a number of boards, taught hundreds (possibly thousands) of students, she embraced every challenge with strength, wit, and humor. Not even a diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer, which she battled against for six years, could slow her down.
Yvonne was a class act, and she knew what it meant to really live.
“Live Your BRIGHTEST Life: A Tribute to Yvonne Porcella” will be a featured art quilt exhibit hosted by Pokey Bolton at “Quilting in the Garden” at Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, CA, September 23-26, 2016. With fabric and thread, this is your opportunity to celebrate an amazing icon in the quilt world, and convey what living a bright life means to you.
As part of this exhibit, we are asking quilt makers to include a written tribute to Yvonne and share how she has influenced your art or touched your life–whether you met her in person or not. This entry will be placed in a book and given to Yvonne’s family.
- Quilt Size: 18”(W) x 26 (H)” (You may submit up to two entries.)
- Must include a sleeve for hanging and your information on the back.
- 2 narratives: 1) Narrative explaining your quilt. 2) A tribute to Yvonne to be placed in a book for her family.
- Digital Images (72 DPI) and accompanying narratives due: August 6, 2016, emailed to email@example.com. Subject to read: YVONNE PORCELLA ENTRY
- You will be notified by August 12, 2016 regarding inclusion and given shipping instructions.
- The quilt must be received by September 9, 2016 in order to be included in this exhibit.
- You are invited to have your quilt for sale, all proceeds to go to her founding organization, Studio Art Quilt Associates.
Cheers to Yvonne, our collective, incredible mentor and friend…